Skip to content

Jordan Gill dazzled under the Sky Sports spotlight as he  beat Jason Cunningham by a unanimous decision in their featherweight bout last night in Manchester.

‘The Thrill’ lived up to his name by dominating the first nine rounds, before showing grit and determination to weather a late onslaught from Cunningham in the final round.

Skill, speed, dazzling combinations and dynamic upper-body movement impressed the Sky Sports audience on his way to a wide points win (98-91, 97-92, 98-90).

The victory takes Gill one step to closer to a British featherweight title shot and adds another win to his unbeaten record.

Speaking to Boxing Science, Jordan told us: “The victory means a hell of a lot.  It was a big step up for me to be locked in with a two-time established commonwealth champion over 10 rounds.

“It was my first time making the featherweight limit, first time in a championship fight and my first time boxing a guy of such good calibre.

“So for me to go in there and perform and get the victory it means a hell of a lot.”

The 23-year-old now advances through the eliminator for Ryan Walsh’s Lonsdale belt on the JD NXTGEN bill.

Despite sustaining a nasty swelling over his left eye at the end of the first round, Jordan rallied quickly, hurting Cunningham with a straight right in the second round.

The contest came to life in the fourth, as Gill floored Cunningham with a perfectly timed right hook. The fight could have been ended there and then, if it weren’t for Cunningham being saved by the bell.

Jordan said: “Jason is a very tough competitor – he brought his A-game. He was even better than I anticipated going into the fight.  It was a tough test.

“I think the difference between us on the night was probably the speed, the youth, the ring IQ and the training I’ve done to get to this point.”

Cunningham was sent to the canvas again in the seventh round, giving Jordan a big lead on the judges’ scorecards.

Gill withstood a last, desperate assault from Cunningham in the final rounds to win by a unanimous decision.

“I owe everything to my training camp. Dave Coldwell has worked wonders with me – he’s the reason I won the fight last night. I owe massive amounts to my training with Boxing Science.  The condition that they get me in and the support they give me is second to none.”

When asked how he celebrated the victory last night, Jordan told us: “I spent four hours in A&E waiting for a hand X-ray, if you can call that celebrating. My team were with me in hospital though, so I’m very grateful for that. I’m going to have a couple of days off and get away somewhere to celebrate properly.”

Looking towards the future, Jordan is eager to fight again.

“I’m going to have a little rest up now and heal my hands and my face.  But, hopefully I’d like to fight next in April.

“I want to fight someone who’s another step up on the ladder. I want to thank everyone for their support and their kind messages.”

By Harry Ingham